Lucene contrib change Log
- Changes in backwards compatibility policy (1)
- LUCENE-2002: Add required Version matchVersion argument when
constructing ComplexPhraseQueryParser and default (as of 2.9)
enablePositionIncrements to true to match StandardAnalyzer's
default. Also added required matchVersion to most of the analyzers
(Uwe Schindler, Mike McCandless)
- Changes in runtime behavior (1)
- LUCENE-1963: ArabicAnalyzer now lowercases before checking the stopword
list. This has no effect on Arabic text, but if you are using a custom
stopword list that contains some non-Arabic words, you'll need to fully
(DM Smith via Robert Muir)
- Bug fixes (7)
- LUCENE-1953: FastVectorHighlighter: small fragCharSize can cause
- LUCENE-1929: Highlighter throws exception on NumericRangeQuery and does not
support deprecated RangeQuery.
- LUCENE-2001: Wordnet Syns2Index incorrectly parses synonyms that
contain a single quote.
(Parag H. Dave via Robert Muir)
- LUCENE-2003: Highlighter doesn't respect position increments other than 1 with
(Uwe Schindler, Mark Miller)
- LUCENE-1954: InstantiatedIndexWriter: Fixed ClassCastException with
NumericField because of incorrect unchecked cast: Document.getFields()
(Bernd Fondermann via Uwe Schindler)
- LUCENE-2014: SmartChineseAnalyzer did not properly clear attributes
in WordTokenFilter. If enablePositionIncrements is set for StopFilter,
then this could create invalid position increments, causing IndexWriter
(Robert Muir, Uwe Schindler)
- LUCENE-2013: SpanRegexQuery does not work with QueryScorer.
(Benjamin Keil via Mark Miller)
- Changes in runtime behavior (2)
- LUCENE-1505: Local lucene now uses org.apache.lucene.util.NumericUtils for all
number conversion. You'll need to fully re-index any previously created indexes.
This isn't a break in back-compatibility because local Lucene has not yet
- LUCENE-1758: ArabicAnalyzer now uses the light10 algorithm, has a refined
default stopword list, and lowercases non-Arabic text.
You'll need to fully re-index any previously created indexes. This isn't a
break in back-compatibility because ArabicAnalyzer has not yet been
- API Changes (5)
- LUCENE-1695: Update the Highlighter to use the new TokenStream API. This issue breaks backwards
compatibility with some public classes. If you have implemented custom Fragmenters or Scorers,
you will need to adjust them to work with the new TokenStream API. Rather than getting passed a
Token at a time, you will be given a TokenStream to init your impl with - store the Attributes
you are interested in locally and access them on each call to the method that used to pass a new
Token. Look at the included updated impls for examples.
- LUCENE-1460: Change contrib TokenStreams/Filters to use the new
(Robert Muir, Michael Busch)
- LUCENE-1775, LUCENE-1903: Change remaining TokenFilters (shingle, prefix-suffix)
to use the new TokenStream API. ShingleFilter is much more efficient now,
it clones much less often and computes the tokens mostly on the fly now.
Also added more tests.
(Robert Muir, Michael Busch, Uwe Schindler, Chris Harris)
- LUCENE-1685: The position aware SpanScorer has become the default scorer
for Highlighting. The SpanScorer implementation has replaced QueryScorer
and the old term highlighting QueryScorer has been renamed to
QueryTermScorer. Multi-term queries are also now expanded by default. If
you were previously rewriting the query for multi-term query highlighting,
you should no longer do that (unless you switch to using QueryTermScorer).
The SpanScorer API (now QueryScorer) has also been improved to more closely
match the API of the previous QueryScorer implementation.
- LUCENE-1793: Deprecate the custom encoding support in the Greek and Russian
Analyzers. If you need to index text in these encodings, please use Java's
character set conversion facilities (InputStreamReader, etc) during I/O,
so that Lucene can analyze this text as Unicode instead.
- Bug fixes (12)
- LUCENE-1423: InstantiatedTermEnum#skipTo(Term) throws ArrayIndexOutOfBounds on empty index.
- LUCENE-1462: InstantiatedIndexWriter did not reset pre analyzed TokenStreams the
same way IndexWriter does. Parts of InstantiatedIndex was not Serializable.
- LUCENE-1510: InstantiatedIndexReader#norms methods throws NullPointerException on empty index.
(Karl Wettin, Robert Newson)
- LUCENE-1514: ShingleMatrixFilter#next(Token) easily throws a StackOverflowException
due to recursive invocation.
- LUCENE-1548: Fix distance normalization in LevenshteinDistance to
not produce negative distances
(Thomas Morton via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1490: Fix latin1 conversion of HALFWIDTH_AND_FULLWIDTH_FORMS
characters to only apply to the correct subset
(Daniel Cheng via
- LUCENE-1576: Fix BrazilianAnalyzer to downcase tokens after
StandardTokenizer so that stop words with mixed case are filtered
(Rafael Cunha de Almeida, Douglas Campos via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1491: EdgeNGramTokenFilter no longer stops on tokens shorter than minimum n-gram size.
(Todd Teak via Otis Gospodnetic)
- LUCENE-1683: Fixed JavaUtilRegexCapabilities (an impl used by
RegexQuery) to use Matcher.matches() not Matcher.lookingAt() so
that the regexp must match the entire string, not just a prefix.
(Trejkaz via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1792: Fix new query parser to set rewrite method for
(Luis Alves, Mike McCandless via Michael Busch)
- LUCENE-1828: Fix memory index to call TokenStream.reset() and
(Tim Smith via Michael Busch)
- LUCENE-1912: Fix fast-vector-highlighter issue when two or more
terms are concatenated
(Koji Sekiguchi via Mike McCandless)
- New features (17)
- LUCENE-1531: Added support for BoostingTermQuery to XML query parser.
- LUCENE-1435: Added contrib/collation, a CollationKeyFilter
allowing you to convert tokens into CollationKeys encoded using
IndexableBinaryStringTools. This allows for faster RangeQuery when
a field needs to use a custom Collator.
(Steven Rowe via Mike
- LUCENE-1591: EnWikiDocMaker, LineDocMaker, WriteLineDoc can now
read/write bz2 using Apache commons compress library. This means
you can download the .bz2 export from http://wikipedia.org and
immediately index it.
(Shai Erera via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1629: Add SmartChineseAnalyzer to contrib/analyzers. It
improves on CJKAnalyzer and ChineseAnalyzer by handling Chinese
sentences properly. SmartChineseAnalyzer uses a Hidden Markov
Model to tokenize Chinese words in a more intelligent way.
(Xiaoping Gao via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1676: Added DelimitedPayloadTokenFilter class for automatically adding payloads "in-stream"
- LUCENE-1578: Support for loading unoptimized readers to the
constructor of InstantiatedIndex.
- LUCENE-1704: Allow specifying the Tidy configuration file when
parsing HTML docs with contrib/ant.
(Keith Sprochi via Mike
- LUCENE-1522: Added contrib/fast-vector-highlighter, a new alternative
(Koji Sekiguchi via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1740: Added "analyzer" command to Lucli, enabling changing
the analyzer from the default StandardAnalyzer.
via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1272: Add get/setBoost to MoreLikeThis.
Leibiusky via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1745: Added constructors to JakartaRegexpCapabilities and
JavaUtilRegexCapabilities as well as static flags to support
configuring a RegexCapabilities implementation with the
implementation-specific modifier flags. Allows for callers to
customize the RegexQuery using the implementation-specific options
and fine tune how regular expressions are compiled and
(Marc Zampetti firstname.lastname@example.org via Mike McCandless)
- LUCENE-1567: Added a new QueryParser framework, that allows
implementing a new query syntax in a flexible and efficient way.
This new QueryParser will be moved to Lucene's core in release
3.0 and will then replace the current core QueryParser, which
has been deprecated with this patch.
(Luis Alves and Adriano Campos via Michael Busch)
- LUCENE-1486: Added ComplexPhraseQueryParser, an extension of QueryParser
that allows a subset of the Lucene query language to be embedded in
PhraseQuerys. Wildcard, Range, and Fuzzy queries, as well as limited
boolean logic, can be used within quote operators with this parser, ie:
"(jo* -john) smyth~".
(Mark Harwood via Mark Miller)
- Added web-based demo of functionality in contrib's XML Query Parser
packaged as War file
- LUCENE-1406: Added Arabic analyzer.
(Robert Muir via Grant Ingersoll)
- LUCENE-1628: Added Persian analyzer.
- LUCENE-1813: Add option to ReverseStringFilter to mark reversed tokens.
(Andrzej Bialecki via Robert Muir)
- Optimizations (2)
- LUCENE-1643: Re-use the collation key (RawCollationKey) for
better performance, in ICUCollationKeyFilter.
(Robert Muir via
- LUCENE-1794: Implement TokenStream reuse for contrib Analyzers,
and implement reset() for TokenStreams to support reuse.
- Documentation (1)
- LUCENE-1876: added missing package level documentation for numerous
(Steven Rowe & Robert Muir)
- Build (2)
- LUCENE-1728: Split contrib/analyzers into common and smartcn modules.
Contrib/analyzers now builds an additional lucene-smartcn Jar file. All
smartcn classes are not included in the lucene-analyzers JAR file.
(Robert Muir via Simon Willnauer)
- LUCENE-1829: Fix contrib query parser to properly create javacc files.
(Jan-Pascal and Luis Alves via Michael Busch)
- Test Cases (none)
- Changes in runtime behavior (1)
- API Changes (2)
- Bug fixes (2)
- LUCENE-1312: Added full support for InstantiatedIndexReader#getFieldNames()
and tests that assert that deleted documents behaves as they should (they did).
(Jason Rutherglen, Karl Wettin)
- LUCENE-1318: InstantiatedIndexReader.norms(String, b, int) didn't treat
the array offset right.
(Jason Rutherglen via Karl Wettin)
- New features (3)
- LUCENE-1320: ShingleMatrixFilter, multidimensional shingle token filter.
- LUCENE-1142: Updated Snowball package, org.tartarus distribution revision 500.
Introducing Hungarian, Turkish and Romanian support, updated older stemmers
and optimized (reflectionless) SnowballFilter.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ON BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY: an index created using the 2.3.2 (or older)
might not be compatible with these updated classes as some algorithms have changed.
- LUCENE-1016: TermVectorAccessor, transparent vector space access via stored vectors
or by resolving the inverted index.
- Documentation (1)
- Build (1)
- Test Cases (1)